Saturday, August 30, 2014

Swatch Saturday: Orly La Vida Loca and Fingerpaints Mistful Thinking

In case it wasn't obvious by now, I'm not the biggest neon afficionato.  If I do wear them, it's usually on my toes or under black glitter.  I love China Glaze's Glitz n' Pieces for that.  When I was trying to pick a color to swatch today I had pulled out most of my favorite dark polishes, but I couldn't seem to settle on any color.  Finally it occured to me that I had a strange itch for neons.  I chose Orly La Vida Loca and Fingerpaints Mistful Thinking.  I don't know why, but they were demanding to be used together.

Let's start off with this.  I don't believe in white bases for neons.  As Nicole from Young Wild and Polished has said, "white bases are for bitches".  I personally hate having too many layers of polish on my nails.  If I'm lucky I may only have three layers on my fingers, and that means a sticky base, a single coat of color, and top coat.  Usually I will have closer to five, since most colors aren't opaque in a single coat and I also like to use Opi's Nail Envy under everything.  So really, adding two to three coats of a white polish is unappealing to say the least.



Mistful Thinking is a neon green cream, probably lime green.  It reminds me of Essie's The More the Merrier, which I have swatched here.  For the picture, I painted three coats.  It painted on evenly and was pretty opaque at two coats, but I did a third to cover up a little bit of VNL.

La Vida Loca is a neon pink with a blue shimmer.  I am on a never ending quest for the perfect pink polish with blue shimmer that is opaque.  This is the closest I've come to it. This is three coats and it's so pretty, but as you can tell on my middle finger, there is still some visible nail line.  La Vida Loca did paint on pretty evenly.

I kept staring at my nails trying to figure out what they reminded me of.  Then it hit me.  Do they look familiar to you?


As the usual kind reminder, these products were purchased with my own money.  I am not cool enough to have companies send me free stuff to review them. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment