Monday, June 16, 2014

Mani Monday: Minty Polka Dots

I love trolling Pinterest.  I think most people do.  One of the things I search the most is nail art, you know other than wedding stuff, and today I have decided to recreate one of the first ones I have pinned.


First off, forgive my terrible edge clean up.  I've been using the well known ELF concealer brush that everyone knows, but it's always been a bit of a pain.  I got a new one that I've started using and getting the hang of.  Maybe I'll eventually do a comparison post later.

Now, let's start with my base color.  This is Morgan Taylor Mint Chocolate Chip.  It is a mint cream polish that is actually not as bright as it shows up in the picture.  I don't know if it's my lighting or my camera was just freaking out, but it would not capture correctly.  My next picture does have the proper shade, so maybe the camera needed the contrasting colors.  I've heard before that the Morgan Taylor cream polishes stunk and to only invest in the glitter polishes.  Using this polish as my reference point, I would have to agree.  It took three coats for this polish to be opaque, some nails needed four.  It was streaky and patchy.  I keep trying to find a good solid mint polish, and I have yet to find one.


This is actually what Mint Chocolate Chip looks like.  Yeah, I don't know what is up with my phone.  

So on to how I actually did this.  As soon as nails were dry, I took a piece of scotch tape and placed it diagonally across my nails.  You want to be sure that your nails are really dry before you place down the tape.  If not the polish will lift and it's a huge mess.  I swiped a quick coat of Cult Nails Fetish (black) across the top of my nails, and quickly removed the tape.  If you let the polish dry with the tape still on, then THAT polish will lift.  Really, using tape is difficult and stressful and I have no idea why I do it.  :-P  

Once that was all dry, I used a dotting tool to stamp white dots over the black and swiped a line of silver glitter with a random striping polish where the mint and black met.  This manicure was not particularly difficult, just took some time.  


As the usual kind reminder, all of these products were purchased with my own money.  I am not cool enough to have companies send me free stuff to review them. ;)

1 comment: