Monday, January 5, 2015

Mani Monday: Red and White Polka Dots

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope you all have been having a lovely year so far.  I'm finally back.  The holidays always keep me super busy going back and forth between my family and the in laws, so I wanted to give myself a break and make sure I could start the year off right.  Now I'm all refreshed and can't wait to get back into the swing of things.


I am starting off today with one coat of Illamasqua's Throb.  Yes, you heard me right, one coat red cream.  It was smooth, opaque, and easy to use.  In case you did not know, Illamasqua is a UK brand that is only available on their website.  They used to be at Sephora, but no longer are available there.  One of the downsides of this polish, is that after exchange rates, they come to about $25 a bottle.  It's about the same range of other high end polishes, and down right cheap in comparison to the infamous Loubiton polishes that most nail junkies are freaking out about right now, but as we all know, I am cheap.  Recently Hautelook did have a sale on Illamasqua polishes, which is where I got this one and a few others.  They were on sale for $7.50, so I had no qualms swooping them up.  If you are not already signed up with Hautelook, you can totally use my referral link.  ;-)  I think they're a great place to pick up some high end products, whether it is beauty, home goods, or clothing.  It's where I got all my the Balm palettes.


I loveds this polish so much that I could not make myself do anything particularly elaborate on my nails.  For some reason, red polish always calls out for white polka dots to me.  I don't know if it is the Disney kid or the vintage gal in me, but I love red with white polka dots.  I used OPIs Alpine Snow for my dots.  It is not a one coat white, so I had to make sure my dots were super dense.  Unfortunately, that means I should have waited a little longer to top coat them, as you can tell by the slight streaking on my ring finger.  I topped off my pointer and pinkie fingers with a thin coat of China Glaze Fairy Dust.  It is a cult classic scattered holo topper.  There is no way of making this opaque, but it is a lovely way to spruce up a basic cream.


As the usual kind reminder, these products were purchased with my own money.  I am not cool enough to have companies send me free stuff to review them. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment