Friday, October 31, 2014

Hard to Find Friday: Pretty Serious Creature Crush

Happy Halloween everybody!  What are you all dressing up as?  I think this is probably the first year ever I didn't put together a costume.  I work late today and have to be at work early tomorrow, so we're not going out and doing anything fun.  But if something does come up, I'll just pull out my Captain America sweater with attached mask and my glitter shield and rock it.  :-D  This doesn't mean that I wouldn't have some festive nails!


This is Creature Crush from Pretty Serious' 2012 Monster Mash collection.  It is a blue green tinged black jelly base with silver shimmer and holographic hexes.  The first base was a touch patchy but it was perfectly opaque with the second.  This polish was limited edition when it came out and I randomly bought it a year ago on Llarowe's sale section.  I have not seen it anywhere else since then.  Personally, I really like it.  I do feel that it is that it is not all that unique.  In the bottle it looks identical to ORLY's Androgynie.


Now you can tell that Creature Crush has a bluer base while Androgynie is more of a charcoal.  On the nail though they look pretty much the same, and the formula on Creature Crush is a lot better.  It was smooth and opaque in two coats and with Androgynie I was struggling with three.  Androgynie was patchy and thin.



Finally to make my nails a little more festive, I decided to try out some Spiderweb Guides from Up Your Nail and Essie's Sittin' Pretty, which I have previously swatched.  They're almost like shields that you lay down flat on the nail and then paint over like any other type of vinyl.  I had issues with these the whole time, but I suspect it had more to do with the design more than the maker.  If they had been easier to work with, I would have done the design on all of my nails instead of just having an accent.  I'm sure Up Your Nails' other stickers work perfectly well, but these were difficult.  First off, there were tons of little bits that I had to remove off the sticker to make sure I had all the little bits of web visible, if that makes sense.  Also, I could not get this to lay flat on the end of my nail.  The polish would pool under the vinyl and just create blobs instead of showing the base polish.  I had to go in with my clean up brush and just a touch of acetone to clean it up.  For this design, I feel that the vinyls are more trouble than they're worth.  Drawing your own spiderweb is so much easier, though I am curious to try other ones of Up Your Nail's guides and nail vinyls.


As the usual kind reminder, these products were purchased with my own money.  I am not cool enough to have companies send me free stuff to review them. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment